Unto the least of these...

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Since you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.     ~Matthew 25:40


This verse runs through my head periodically.  Probably because it is so applicable.  And it is so easy for the small things to become mundane.  But that doesn't mean that they're unimportant.  Like getting someone a drink of water, for instance.  Too many times when someone asks me for a drink of water, I sigh in my head.  Usually they ask for it at the times when I'm the busiest.  Or when they were told they need to go home now and the plea for a drink is a last-ditch effort to prolong the inevitable.  Sometimes I'm almost positive that they're not even thirsty.  And then there's those that want their water a very specific way:  "Half-cold and half-warm, please." or  "Only fill the cup half-full."  And when I mistakenly fill it to the top: "But, Miss!  I only wanted a half-cup!  Sigh!!!  But what kind of attitude is that?  When my attitude is like that, there's not even a shred of a servant's heart visible.  Sad to say...

I was challenged recently to think about why I do the good things I do.  Is it so other people see me?  Is it to win favor with God and elevate myself?  Or is it an outpouring of the HUGE gift of grace and mercy that I have received?  That's what it should be.  But too many times it feels like it's just something I do because I know I should.  In reality though, when I've done something good to "the least of these" with the right attitude, I've done something good for Jesus.  And although I know I can never pay Him back for His amazing gift to me, maybe it's a teeny, tiny start.......

Comments

Popular Posts