"The Teeth People"

I came in from break to find my students hiding under the table!  "The teeth people are here!" they said in mock fear.  And so they desparately tried to hide.  Kinda as a joke, but kinda not, I think. :)

The "teeth people" are some dentists and dental assistants who go around to all the schools in Grenada and promote healthy teeth.  (Which is a much-needed thing here!)  They hand out free toothbrushes and toothpaste to the students.  They also come a few times a year to put fluoride on their teeth and seal them.  The students hate the fluoride, and I don't blame them!  One of the times, all of the teachers also got a pack of fluoride to brush on our teeth.  Nasty stuff!  And it lasts for quite awhile.

The "teeth people" have a knack for coming at inopportune times and with no warning, like they did today.  So instead of taking time out of class for them to apply the fluoride, they gave us the packets of it and turned the task over to us.

Dishon braving the fluoride.


Esther awaiting her turn

These are the expressions I got when I told them to show me how it tastes!

I'm not totally sure of the proper protocol for applying fluoride, but after it had dried for a minute or two after I applied it, I let them go rinse out their mouths.  I felt sorry for them.  Besides, that, I know how it tastes - not nice!  Shhhhh...don't let the dentist know!

Comments

Popular Posts