Making the Minutes Count

Monday morning I awakened to heavy rain.  Aaahhh...what a welcome sound.  This is dry season and the water levels are low.  30-inch deep cracks have formed out in the pasture out front.  It continued to rain for about an hour or so.  And for that reason, I only had 3 students instead of my usual 5.  We did some extra fun things so that we wouldn't get too far ahead in our work and make it hard for the missing two students to catch up.
Jennarosa's thinking of ice cream

...and being a princess

These kids must have ice cream on the brain!

Uel's thinking outside the box...I think it's a fish

Officer Tevin

and Fireman Uel
One of the fun days that we participated in recently was Silence Day.  I knew my class would not excel at this, but we decided to give it a (short) try.  While Grade 3 & 4 did it for mostly the whole day, we only did it between first and second break.  No talking. At all.  From me or the students.  So notes like this were written instead:

Surprisingly enough they surprised me and were pretty quiet.  They even earned 10 extra minutes of break time.

Another one of the fun days was a nature hike.  The students loved it.  Mostly because they got to hike and they got out of afternoon classes. :)
Uel & Jennarosa
 Pastor John was our guide.  He told the students lots of interesting facts about the different trees, fruit, and other plants that we passed.
Ashton & Tevin
We had a bridal shower for Anika.  And we played the bridal shower game staple:  make-a-wedding-dress-out-of-toilet-paper game.
Us with the "bride" that we dressed up

All of the "brides"
Wednesday (May 1) is a holiday here so that means no school.  So we decided to make Tuesday night a late one.  We traveled up to the very north end of the island to Levera Beach to see the amazing Leatherback Turtles.
A life size replica of the Leatherback turtle

Baby leatherback turtles...they were so tiny and cute! (except they were dead!) :(
 No flash photography was allowed.  It was said that one flash of white light could blind a turtle.  We had to keep our distance as this approximately 5 foot long turtle dug its hole in the sand and they we could get closer as she began to lay her 100 or so eggs.  I touched her shell and held her flippers....Pretty cool!


In other news, my mom and dad are coming to visit me in 6 days!  I can't wait!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts